The U.S. and U.K. strikes on Houthi targets inside Yemen were nearly twice as large as previously disclosed, hitting a total of just under 30 different locations, a senior member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff revealed Friday.
Air Force Central Command had said Thursday that American forces hit more than 60 targets at 16 locations controlled by the Iranian-backed militants. But speaking with reporters Friday, Lt. Gen. Douglas Sims, the Joint Staff's director for operations, said that immediately following those initial strikes, there were 12 other locations identified and struck.
Meanwhile, the U.S. military's barrage in Yemen was largely viewed on Capitol Hill as a necessary response to months of Houthi aggression in the Red Sea, even as President Joe Biden took some heat from progressive members of his own party who believe he overstepped his authority as commander in chief.
Read Next: Marine Corps Plans Resident Advisers in Barracks and Other Fixes as Gross Facility Photos Surface Online
The U.S. and U.K. militaries, with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada and the Netherlands, pounded sites in Yemen on Thursday that American officials said were integral to Houthi radar, missile and drone capabilities.
While U.S. officials have so far failed to offer any specifics about any of the targets selected, a statement from the British Ministry of Defence released Thursday evening said four of its jets hit a site in…