The government on Tuesday announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the next of kin of those killed in the Manipur violence even as Union Home Minister Amit Shah held a series of meetings in the state to review the situation.
So far, 80 people have been killed since clashes between Kukis and Meiteis first erupted on May 3. Although no casualty was reported until late Tuesday, sources said the situation in the state remains tense with sporadic violence being reported from some parts.
Sources said the state and the Centre will make a 50:50 contribution to the compensation amount, adding that a proposal to provide a job to each of the families that lost a member is also on the table.
The state administration has also been asked to work out a way with the Centre's help to ensure uninterrupted supply of essential items to Manipur. Sources said due to blockades by Meitei and Kuki groups on national highways, the supply of food and fuel to the state, particularly Imphal, has been severely disrupted and prices have soared.
At two separate meetings Monday night and Tuesday, Shah asked the security forces to deal with those disturbing peace strictly. “The Home Minister also reviewed the security situation with senior officials of Manipur Police, CAPFs and the Indian Army. He said that peace and prosperity of Manipur is our top priority and instructed them to strictly deal with any activities disturbing the peace,” said the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) in a…