India and China have held 11 rounds of military commander-level talks to end their border standoff. As part of the ongoing disengagement process, troops on both sides have retreated from one friction point on the northern bank of Lake Pangong Tso, while China has reportedly pulled back troops from forward positions in the Galwan Valley.
The Indian Army on Wednesday rejected a Business Standard report suggesting that Chinese and Indian troops clashed in the Galwan Valley on 2 May this year, amid an ongoing disengagement process in the Ladakh border standoff, which began last May.
The news article, which cites government sources, says that the alleged clash between the Indian Army and China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) occurred by the Galwan River, after Chinese soldiers pitched tents in an area that both sides had withdrawn from.
A deadly clash between the two armies in June last year resulted in the deaths of 20 Indian and four PLA soldiers, as per Delhi and Beijing.
The Indian Army has also rebutted claims in the article that Chinese troops “re-occupied” border positions which they had agreed to vacate as part of the mutual troop disengagement process that kick-started in February this year.
“Both sides have continued with negotiations to resolve the balance issues, and regular patrolling in respective areas continues. The situation on the ground continues to be hithertofore”, it also said.
The Indian Army further said that it was…