On Sunday, the Pentagon said US warplanes had struck facilities of the Iranian-backed militants in the Syrian-Iraqi border region in what the Department of Defence described as a retaliatory attack against American interests in Iraq.
The Pentagon is “still assessing the full scope of the damage” after a rocket attack on a US base in Syria, Department of Defence spokesman John Kirby told reporters on Tuesday.
He spoke after US Col. Wayne Marotto, a spokesperson for Operation Inherent Resolve, the American-led mission against Daesh*, said no injuries or damage to the base had been reported.
He added that US troops at the base “acted in self-defence and conducted counter-battery artillery fire at rocket launching positions”.
This followed US military aircraft hitting facilities allegedly belonging to the Iranian-backed militants – Kata’ib Hezbollah (KH) and Kata’ib Sayyid al-Shuhada (KSS) – in the Syrian-Iraqi border region in what the Pentagon described as response to attacks against American interests in Iraq.
The militias are part of the Popular Mobilisation Forces (PMF), Iraq’s paramilitary corps established in 2014 to fight Daesh. The PMF denies having any depots in the areas the US claims to have struck.
Baghdad Condemns US Airstrikes
The Iraqi government, in turn, condemned Washington’s actions, slamming the strikes as a “flagrant violation of Iraq’s sovereignty and national security” and pledging to investigate.
The attacks, authorised by US President Joe…