Pentagon Confirms Afghanistan Withdrawal Over 50 Percent Done, Says Won’t Give Specifics From Now On

The United States and its NATO allies began their “final” withdrawal from Afghanistan last month after nearly two decades of war. President Biden promises to complete the troops’ extraction by the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks.

United States Central Command (USCENTCOM), the entity responsible for operations in Afghanistan and the Middle East, has issued a fresh report on the status of forces in the country amid Washington’s continuing withdrawal, saying that “greater than 50 percent of the entire retrograde process” has been completed to date.

Six military facilities have now been handed over to the Afghan military, and CENTCOM expects additional transfers “of bases and military assets in the future” to help shore up Kabul’s military capabilities.

The command indicated that going forward, it would not provide the public with any additional reports on what percentage of forces have been evacuated, citing “operational security reasons” and the need to “preserve force protection.”

On Monday, CENTCOM chief Gen. Kenneth McKenzie said that the Pentagon was on track to meeting the September deadline “to complete the full withdrawal from Afghanistan” and indicated that the US military’s current role was to provide security advice to Kabul and engage in counterterrorism operations.

Under the US-Taliban peace agreement, approved by the Trump administration and representatives of the fundamentalist group in Doha in February 2020, the US and…

Continue Reading This Article At Sputnik News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here