In a rare acknowledgement of its troop casualties, the Chinese PLA announced Friday that four of its personnel, including a battalion commander, died in clashes with Indian troops in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh last year. It also said that another officer, of the rank of a Colonel, was “seriously injured in the skirmish”.
This is the first admission by China that it suffered casualties in the June 15, 2020 clashes in Galwan Valley where 20 Indian Army personnel, including a Colonel, lost their lives. The PLA made no mention of the number of personnel injured in the clashes. It made the announcement on the eve of the tenth round of talks between the two armies.
On Twitter, Chinese handles, including that of the editor-in-chief of the state-run Global Times, put out a video clip of the Galwan Valley clash.
The PLA Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese army, reported that four soldiers, who died during the clashes in Galwan Valley, had been awarded honorary titles posthumously by the government. The report said an officer too had been conferred an honorary title for his role in “defending the border”.
China’s state-run Xinhua news agency, quoting the report, said the “Central Military Commission issued commendations to the servicemen for their role in bravely fighting back hostilities provoked by foreign forces at the Galwan Valley”.
It said the title of “border-defending hero”…