Pangong disengagement: Assertion that Indian territory is up to Finger 4 is categorically false, says MoD

Hours after Congress leader Rahul Gandhi targeted the Narendra Modi government alleging that it has given up the country’s territory to China, the Ministry of Defence on Friday asserted that India has not conceded any territory as a result of the agreement finalised with Beijing for disengagement of troops in Pangong lake areas in eastern Ladakh.

“The assertion that Indian territory is up to Finger 4 is categorically false. The territory of India is as depicted by the map of India and includes more than 43,000 sq km currently under illegal occupation of China since 1962,” the MoD said in a statement.

“Even the Line of Actual Control (LAC), as per the Indian perception, is at Finger 8, not at Finger 4. That is why India has persistently maintained the right to patrol up to Finger 8, including in the current understanding with China. Permanent posts of both sides at the north bank of Pangong Tso are longstanding and well-established,” it added.

Indian and Chinese armies pulling back their military tanks from the Pangong Tso region. (Source: Indian Army)

“On the contrary, it has enforced observance and respect for LAC and prevented any unilateral change in the status quo,” it further said.

Earlier in the day, Gandhi had questioned the government over its agreement with China on disengagement of troops in eastern Ladakh. “Why has he asked the Defence Minister to make the statement, the…

Continue Reading This Article At The Indian Express

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here