Jaishankar: Agreed to disengage in some LAC areas, but no visible expression yet

Nine months after the start of the military standoff between India and China along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said Saturday it had been agreed at minister-level meetings last September that troops should disengage in some areas, but so far there had been “no visible expression” of that on the ground.

Responding to questions from reporters in Vijayawada, Jaishankar said: “You know the events of what happened last year. After that, we have deployed troops in very large numbers to meet the challenge which has come from the massing of Chinese troops out there.”

“Last year, Raksha Mantri Rajnathji had met his counterpart in Moscow. They were there for a meeting. I had also met my counterpart, and between us, we had agreed that we should disengage in some areas.”

“So, the disengagement talks — because it’s a very complicated issue, you know, depends (on) troops, you have to know the geography, which position, what is happening, this is being done by the military commanders in nine rounds of meetings so far. So, we believe some progress has been made, but it’s not yet in a kind of situation where there is a visible expression of that on the ground,” he said.


In Vijayawada to speak on the Union Budget, the minister said: “But I also do want to tell you because we are talking Budget… if you look during this period, there has been a very significant additional outlay on the different side,…

Continue Reading This Article At The Indian Express

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here