, Krishn Kaushik
| New Delhi |
September 13, 2020 4:16:46 am
On the night of August 29-30, almost four months after the PLA made significant ingress into Indian territory in eastern Ladakh, India, for the first time, outplayed China with its manoeuvres.
By the crack of dawn, Indian forces had taken dominant positions on some key heights along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), snaking through the south bank of Pangong Tso to Rechin La near Rezang La.
This move threatened key Chinese positions on its side of the LAC, and provided India a bulwark against lost ground on the north bank of the lake.
The Indian Army said the move was “pre-emptive” since it noticed PLA troops moving towards previously unmanned locations.
Yet this operation to reach the unoccupied heights took almost a month of careful planning — from the drawing board to implementation on the field.
Plans for such a move, a source in the security establishment said, had the political go-ahead from Delhi because there was realisation there that Beijing was not serious about completing disengagement of troops.
After the success of Corps Commander-level talks on June 30…