There is still no information about the five men reported missing from an area near the McMahon Line (the imaginary line that acts as the border with China), the Arunachal Pradesh government said Monday, adding that it was closely monitoring the situation and that district officials had been directed to provide all necessary help and aid.
Amid claims – by the families of the missing men and locals – that they have been abducted by China, the Army has also sent a “hotline” message asking if PLA (People’s Liberation Army) troops in the area have seen the men.
The Chinese have not yet answered the “hotline” message.
However, a tweet by Global Times, a Chinese state-run media publication, quoted Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian as saying there were no details to release. He also reportedly said China did not recognise “so-called Arunachal Pradesh”, which he called “China’s south Tibet region”.
“We have yet to receive any response from the Chinese side. On Saturday the “hotline” was activated to inform the Chinese Army about these missing youth. Our reconnaissance teams are always in that area (and) they looking out,” Lt Col Harshwardhan Pande, a Defence spokesperson, told NDTV.
Meanwhile, police teams have been sent to the villages from which the five men hail to get more details.
“We are trying to ascertain the facts. We are talking to two youth (part of a group of seven) who…