| New Delhi |
Updated: August 20, 2020 4:57:48 am
The Centre has ordered withdrawal of 10,000 paramilitary personnel from Jammu and Kashmir, the single-biggest reduction of troops from the Union territory since their presence was stepped up around August 5 last year.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has asked the CRPF, BSF, CISF and SSB to cumulatively withdraw 100 companies. Sources said 40 of these belong to the CRPF. Meanwhile, CISF, BSF and SSB will each see 20 companies withdrawn.
The development comes even as militant activity continues in the Valley, with forces regularly coming under attack.
Sources said the latest order will not weaken the security set-up there are enough forces in the Valley. This, however, is the biggest reduction in one go, they added.
In the run up to the revocation of Jammu and Kashmir’s special status last year, and in the days ahead, the Centre had dispatched more than 700 companies (70,000 personnel) of paramilitary forces to Kashmir. These were in addition to the over 60,000 paramilitary personnel stationed in the Valley all year round.
“So, in real terms, the reduction will not make much of an…