Chinese Territory Claims In Bhutan, India’s Ladakh “Testing” The World, Says US

Indian and Chinese troops have been locked in a bitter standoff in Ladakh since May 5. (File photo)

Highlights

  • China has the desire to expand its power and reach, Mike Pompeo said
  • “Momentum is building to mitigate the threats,” he said
  • Pompeo told lawmakers that India has banned 106 Chinese applications

China’s territorial claims in Bhutan and the recent incursion into Indian land are indicative of their intentions, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday, adding that Beijing under Preisdent Xi Jinping was trying to find out whether other countries are going to push back.

Indian and Chinese troops have been locked in a bitter standoff in several areas along the Line of Actual Control in eastern Ladakh since May 5. The situation deteriorated last month following the Galwan Valley clashes that left 20 Indian Army personnel dead.

China recently staked claim over the Sakteng Wildlife Sanctuary in Bhutan at the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Council and opposed funding to the project.

“I think the actions are entirely consistent with what they have been signalling to the world for decades you might even argue since 1989 but certainly since General Secretary Xi (Jinping) came to power,” Pompeo told members of the House Foreign Affairs Committee during a Congressional hearing on Thursday.

The secretary of state said China has the desire to expand its power and reach.

“They talk about bringing socialism with Chinese characteristics to the world. Claims…

Continue Reading This Article At NDTV

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here