, Shubhajit Roy
| New Delhi |
Updated: July 12, 2020 9:51:35 am
In first remarks from the political leadership on the disengagement of troops that began last week along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said Saturday it has “just commenced, and very much a work in progress”.
Speaking at the India Global Week virtual conference, Jaishankar said, “We have agreed on the need to disengage because troops on both sides are deployed very close to each other. So, there is a disengagement and de-escalation process which has been agreed upon. It has just commenced, and very much a work in progress. So, at this point, I wouldn’t like to say more than that.”
The minister’s remarks came on the day Indian Army sources said Chinese troops have vacated the base at Finger 4 in Pangong Tso, and have thinned their strength somewhat on the ridgeline. But Chinese troops, sources said, are still present in large numbers on the ridgeline above Finger 4.
The standoff at Pangong Tso is likely to be the main talking point when Corps…