India has rebutted Chinese claims of ownership of the Galwan river valley, the site of a bloody brawl between the neighbours.
Monday night’s fight left at least 20 Indian soldiers dead and sparked fresh tensions between the two countries.
India’s foreign ministry said the Chinese claims on the valley were “exaggerated and untenable”.
Meanwhile, an image of a weapon purportedly used to attack soldiers has caused outrage in India.
The image of the nail-studded iron rods was given to the BBC by a senior military official on the India-China border. The armies of the two countries have not said anything about the weapon so far.
Defence analyst Ajai Shukla, who first tweeted the image, said the use of such weapons was “barbarism”.
Both sides have exchanged protests over the clashes in the disputed Himalayan border area.
China has not released casualty figures. Unconfirmed reports in Indian media say at least 40 Chinese soldiers died. Some Indian soldiers are still believed to be missing.
On Wednesday Beijing quoted a military statement saying China “owns sovereignty over the Galwan Valley region”.
Indian foreign ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said the foreign ministers of both countries had a phone conversation on the developments and “agreed that the overall situation should be handled in a responsible…