Naxal ambush: Bodies of 17 personnel found inside Bastar forest, their weapons looted

Written by Gargi Verma
| Sukma |

Updated: March 23, 2020 9:51:58 am





The security personnel were brought to a private hospital in Raipur.

Confirming the worst fears, bodies of 17 security personnel, who had been declared missing after an encounter with Maoists Saturday in the jungles of Minpa in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh, were recovered Sunday. Officials said this is the biggest Maoist attack on security forces since the attack in Sukma in 2017 when 24 CRPF personnel, part of a road opening party, were killed.

Chhattisgarh DGP Durgesh Awasthi said: “We have recovered all 17 bodies. All of them are from Chhattisgarh. Our men came under very heavy fire for over five hours, and they fought valiantly.”

Bastar IGP P Sundarraj said: “We are unable to trace 12 AK-47s, one each of UBGL, INSAS, LMG that the men had on them. We have reason to believe that these were stolen by the Naxals.”

Explained

Why this is a worrying sign

The first such major attack in nearly three years, it reinforces the suspicion that the relative calm is misleading. There are worrying signs, pointers to tactical anomalies — the men remained untraceable till their bodies were recovered. There are suggestions within Chhattisgarh that its heartland politics is turning the focus…

Continue Reading This Article At The Indian Express

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here