Germany Steps Up Security After Hanau Shisha Bar Shooting

Europe

On Wednesday, at least nine people were killed and several others injured in shooting attacks on shisha bars in the western German town of Hanau.

German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer has pledged to deploy additional police to the country’s mosques, railway stations, airports and other sensitive sites following the deadly Hanau shooting attacks.

“The security threat from right-wing extremism, anti-Semitism and racism is very high”, Seehofer said on Friday, describing it as “the biggest security threat facing Germany”.

He said that the measures had been agreed with regional leaders in order to prevent any copycat attacks.

Seehofer spoke after he attended a wreath-laying ceremony at the scene of the Wednesday on Thursday, during which he reiterated Chancellor Angela Merkel’s words that “racism is a poison”.

He vowed to do his best to clarify the background of the perpetrators, but did not describe the Hanau killings as a “terror attack”.

The remarks came after police confirmed on Wednesday that at least nine people had been shot dead and several others critically injured in the attacks on shisha bars in the German town of Hanau, east of Frankfurt, earlier that day.

Investigators said that all the victims, among them Turks and ethnic Kurds, were of immigrant origin, while the suspected killer was reportedly identified as 43-year-old Hanau resident Tobias Rathjen. He and his 72-year-old mother were…

Continue Reading This Article At Sputnik News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here