Sudan’s military rulers have suspended talks on moving towards civilian government until protesters clear roadblocks in the capital Khartoum, opposition leaders say.
An opposition alliance said the Transitional Military Council (TMC) was demanding barricades be removed.
The setback comes hours after the TMC and the opposition agreed a three-year transition period to civilian rule.
Shots were fired on Wednesday as soldiers tried to clear barricades.
Protesters in Khartoum said at least nine people were wounded, but that figure could not be verified. Similar violence on Monday left at least six people dead and protesters say those responsible must be held to account.
Sudan has been run by the military council since long-time President Omar al-Bashir was toppled last month, but it has struggled to return the country to normality.
Protesters emboldened by Mr Bashir’s downfall have continued to stage a huge sit-in outside military headquarters in the capital, demanding full civilian government.
What do opposition leaders say?
Rashid al-Sayid, a spokesman for the opposition Alliance for Freedom and Change, told AFP news agency: “The military council has suspended the talks. They asked us to dismantle barricades in parts of the capital.”
Another opposition leader, Ahmed Rabie, confirmed the talks had stalled, saying the military wanted roads in Khartoum and elsewhere reopened before it returned to the negotiating table.
The military has not…