The statement follows israel Defence Force spokesman Avichay Adraee stating that Israeli troops attacked around 100 targets in the Gaza Strip on Friday morning in response to the 14 March shelling of Tel Aviv from Palestinian territory.
The Palestinian Hamas militant group, which openly calls for Israel’s destruction, has pledged to take action against those who launched rockets on Tel Aviv on Thursday.
“We are following up on the firing of rockets from Gaza against the national consensus and the ministry will take measures against the violators,” the Hamas-run Interior Ministry said in a statement on Friday.
Hamas Says Short-Term Truce With Israel Possible, But Keeps Missiles at Hand
The statement comes as the Times of israel quoted an unnamed Hamas official as saying that the group “has no interest in an escalation” with Israel. The official added he “has no idea” who fired rockets toward Tel Aviv on 14 March.
Daoud Shehab, spokesman for the Palestinian terrorist group Islamic Jihad (PIJ), for his part, rejected reports of the PIJ being behind the rocket fire, slamming them as “baseless lies and claims”.
He also pointed out that his group is “committed to the ceasefire understandings [between Hamas and the Jewish state]” as long as Israel “halts its aggression against the Palestinian people”.
Earlier on Friday, Israel’s Kan public broadcaster and Palestinian media reported that Tel Aviv and Hamas had agreed…