In a setback for India, China once again placed a technical hold on a proposal in the UN Security Council to ban terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Maulana Masood Azhar late Wednesday. This is the fourth time China has blocked India’s bid to designate Azhar as a global terrorist in the UNSC.
The Ministry of External Affairs expressed its disappointment at the development. In a statement, the ministry said, “We are disappointed by this outcome. This has prevented action by the international community to designate the leader of JeM, a proscribed and active terrorist organization which has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack in J&K on Feb 14.”
“We are grateful for the efforts of the Member States who moved the designation proposal and the unprecedented number of all other Security Council members as well as non-members who joined as co-sponsors,” it added.
The ministry further said they will continue to pursue all available avenues to ensure that terrorist leaders involved in attacks on India are brought to justice.
India has been reaching out to world leaders to blacklist Azhar ever since the JeM claimed responsibility for the deadly Pulwama terror attack, which left 40 CRPF personnel dead last month.
Earlier on Wednesday, China hinted that it may again block the move, stating that “the solution that is acceptable to all sides” is conducive to resolve the issue. On Tuesday, New Delhi intensified…