Israeli Security Cabinet Mulls Gaza Military Operation After Rocket Launch

Middle East

After a rocket originating from the Gaza Strip hit a building in the city of Be’er Sheva, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman, and other security cabinet ministers discussed the possibility of a military response.

Liberman reportedly tried to convince the cabinet to proceed with a military operation to prevent further aggression from Gaza, the Jerusalem Post reported. He was supported by Netanyahu, who said, “If these attacks do not stop – we will stop them.”

 IDF Says It Hit 20 Targets in Gaza in Response to Palestinian Shellin

But opinions on the need for military action were split. Police Commissioner Roni Alsheich said in a speech earlier on Wednesday that Israel’s defense establishment does not want conflict between israel and Hamas to escalate.

“The security establishment does not see any motivation to create an escalation in the Gaza Strip; the events there are complex enough, the complexity of players there is big enough that we’ll have a few events like we had last night,” he said.

However, the cabinet also reportedly agreed on the possibility of a limited air operation. “israel views with utmost gravity the attacks against it on the [southern border] fence, on the area adjacent to the Gaza Strip, in Be’er Sheva – everywhere,” Netanyahu said after the meeting, noting that “Israel will take very strong action.”

Continue Reading This Article At Sputnik News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here