Trump Says This Nation With 2,000-Strong Army Can Start World War III

Podgorica, Montenegro: 

Montenegro’s government on Thursday defended its contribution to peace in response to a verbal attack from US President Donald Trump, who said this week that the tiny Balkan nation’s “aggressive” people were capable of triggering “World War III”.

The rebuttal comes after Trump ignited outrage across Europe with his broadside, which many interpreted as the latest sign of the US president’s shaky commitment to the NATO alliance, which Montenegro joined last year.

In a statement on Thursday Montenegro defended its history of “peaceful politics,” saying the country “contributes to peace and stability not only on the European continent but worldwide, along with US soldiers in Afghanistan.”

It also added that it has served as a “stabilising” force in the region, which was ravaged by wars during the break-up of the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s. 

Alongside Macedonia, Montenegro was the only ex-Yugoslavian country whose decision to split from the federation did not trigger a war, though its soldiers fought against Croatia’s war of independence in the 1990s as part of the Yugoslav army. 

The alliance with the US remains “strong and permanent,” the statement added.

Trump made his controversial comments during a Fox News interview on Tuesday in response to a question about NATO’s Article 5, which states that an attack on one member is an attack on all.

“Why should my son go to Montenegro to defend it from attack?” Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked the US…

Continue Reading This Article At NDTV