Italian Foreign Minister Enzo Moavero Milanesi believes that foreign fighters coming to Europe from Libyan ports pose a security threat to the continent requiring alliance support.
“We will strongly ask the NATO summit for a rebalancing of the Atlantic Alliance’s commitment toward the Mediterranean. We should have an equal commitment toward the east and south,” Milanesi said, speaking to lawmakers on Tuesday ahead of the NATO summit in Brussels which starts Wednesday.
The foreign minister warned that Rome has evidence of a terror threat posed by the migrant flow, with the danger of jihadist fighters sneaking into Southern Europe on migrant boats requiring NATO assistance, according to the official.
This is not the first time Italy’s new government has appealed to the alliance to help deal with the migrant crisis since it came to power in June. Speaking to NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg last month, Milanesi stressed that he would affirm in Brussels the need for a “360 degree security policy without neglecting the southern flank from where serious challenges emerge for the alliance, starting with terrorism.”
Earlier, Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said that Italy was “under attack” by the migrant crisis and appealed to the alliance for protection. “Italy is under attack from the south and not from the east,” he said. The new government has taken a hard line on dealing…