The top US envoy to Sudan pledged to work “with all its energy and focus” to remove Khartoum from the US list of states that it considers to be sponsors of terrorism, just days after the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) removed sanctions from the Code of Federal Regulations.
The United States embassy to Sudan vowed on July 4 to do everything in their power to convince Washington to remove Khartoum from the US terrorism-sponsor list, after the African nation severed its ties to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK).
“North Korea is a paramount national security priority for the United States,” US charge d’affaires in Khartoum Steven Koutsis said, during a July 4 celebration at the embassy in the Sudanese capital.
“For this reason, we would like to emphasize our appreciation for actions taken by Sudan and all our allies and partners around the world who support our diplomatic and economic pressure on the North Korean regime,” he said, cited by Agence France Presse.
In June, Khartoum announced that it had scrapped contracts with Pyongyang, acknowledging for the first time that the African nation had pre-existing deals with the heavily-sanctioned DPRK state.
“I pledge to you that this embassy will work with all its energy and focus to create the conditions for Sudan’s removal from the list,” he declared.
On June 29, OFAC announced that Sudanese sanctions regulations had been removed from the Code…